Since 2007 over 7000 primary school aged children have been introduced to the Smarter than Smoking MotoSafe program and subsequently exposed to the different types of Motorcycle sport and their clubs, as well as being educated with the message of safe and responsible riding practices.
Motorcycling is becoming increasingly popular as a sport and recreational activity. Therefore Motorcycling WA is pleased to introduce ‘Smarter than Smoking MotoSafe’ – a program developed with support from the Department of Sport and Recreation.
Each year huge numbers of junior motorcycles are sold in Western Australia. Concern for the safety of children has led Motorcycling Western Australia in partnership with Smarter than Smoking to develop MotoSafe, a safety orientated educational program.
The Smarter than Smoking Motosafe has been developed with the express goal of fostering the responsible and safe use of motorcycles.
MotoSafe has been developed into a complete educational package with the assistance of qualified Primary School teachers.
MotoSafe is an interactive package based on safe and responsible motorcycling riding practices whilst incorporating the Smarter than Smoking message
The message that being safe requires a few rules is of value to all students and includes:
- Developing a positive attitude to sport
- Where to ride motorcycles legally and safely
- Respect for the environment
- Respect for yourself and those around you
- What to wear when riding a motorcycle
- How to be responsible on a motorcycle
- Safety equipment is cool!
The program consists of:
- A visit to your school by trained presenters using motorcycling equipment and props including a 12 minute DVD.
- A resource kit consisting of a student resource DVD and interesting facts about motorcycles and safety including an outcomes based teachers and classroom resources that include ready-to-use lesson material.
- An optional visit to a local motorcycle club outside of school hours.
Vital for the Safety of Young Motorcycle Riders in W.A.
Do you have a child at Primary School? Are you a member of a school board? Are you a teacher at a school? On a School Council? Do you have an interest in young recreational or competition riders, riding safely and responsibly?
If so, MotoSafe needs YOU!
Smarter than Smoking MotoSafe is a project that partners WA primary schools; Motorcycling Western Australia; motorcycle industry: and motorcycle clubs to present a rider safety package at your school.
MotoSafe aims to improve the safety of young riders and raise awareness in riding responsibly, both socially and environmentally.
Schools we have visited, and are revisiting soon, are:
- Avonvale Primary School
- Bakers Hill Primary School
- Bateman Primary School
- Bindoon Primary School
- Bramfield Park Primary School
- Brunswick Junction Primary School
- Bunbury – Carey Park Primary School
- Bunbury – Cooinda Primary School
- Bunbury – Ocean Forest Primary School
- Byford Primary School
- Carcoola Primary School
- Carramar Primary School
- Caversham Primary School
- Currambine Primary School
- Cranbrook Primary School
- Darkan Primary School
- Edgewater Primary School
- Edney Primary School
- Ellen Stirling Primary School
- Forrestdale Primary School
- Forrestfield Primary School
- Glengarry Primary School
- Glen Forrest Primary School
- Harmony Primary School
- Hocking Primary School
- Huntingdale Primary School
- Jarrahdale Primary School
- Lesmurdie Primary School
- Matthew Gibney Catholic Primary School
- Maylands Pensula Primary School
- Middle Swan Primary School
- Midvale Primary School
- Mundaring Primary School
- Neerigen Brook Primary School
- North Parmelia Primary School
- Orange Grove Primary School
- Orelia Primary School
- Parkerville Primary School
- Pingelly Primary School
- Pinjarra Primary School
- Roleystone Primary School
- South Ballajura Primary School
- Two Rocks Primary School
- Wooroloo Primary School
If you wish to be involved in a presentation or have us visit your school call MWA on 9371 5333.