Further to my previous update on mandatory proof of vaccination (POV) requirements and community sporting events, the following general advice relates to clubs operating a bar under an Occasional Liquor Licence. Whilst further update advice is expected from the WA State Government on POV requirements as the situation in WA changes, MWA believes that the mandatory requirements connected to “Liquor outlets” for the sale/supply of alcohol, are unlikely to change. These mandatory requirements apply from 31 January (today).
- The exemptions that apply to community sporting events and POV (as per my initial update), fall away where a club is “a place operating under an occasional liquor licence”. This applies to our clubs/promoters at events where alcohol is sold under an occasional licence.
- The onus is on the club/promoter to comply with mandatory POV requirements at their venue as “a place operating under an occasional liquor licence”.
- If the bar/canteen (for the purpose of selling alcohol) does not operate, the POV requirements do not need to be observed (as per the current exemption for community sporting events).
- POV applies to any club operating a bar/canteen in any place, including an area to sit down / gather to consume alcohol (inside a building or not) or selling “takeaway” alcohol from that area to consume elsewhere on the “place” (within the venue).
- Staff/volunteers operating the bar must have POV (double vax certificate).
- Club officials should check the details on the Occasional Licence about the area specified as “licenced” as these vary – some define the whole of the property/venue, where others don’t.
- As a suggested way to manage POV, Clubs/promoters may choose define (ie rope-off /control/ contain etc) an area at the bar as the “licensed area” and manage POV requirements in that area only, (ie at one entry or control point to check patrons) as opposed to checking every person over 16, coming into the event (place). NB – I am awaiting further legal advice on this but it was considered a reasonable approach.
- POV requirements do not apply to selling takeaway food from the canteen ( i.e. no seating / dine-in arrangements can be provided) – even if it’s the same place where alcohol is sold from.
I understand that these mandatory requirements place an additional burden on our clubs to implement and manage, but until further advice is communicated, clubs/ promoters MUST comply.
I will provide additional updates where they apply to our sporting events, but as always am happy to speak to our club officials in person, if required. Stay safe and well.